Monday, January 16, 2012

I don't think we are in Kansas anymore.. Descriptive Writing: Storm

Students were asked to write a short, descriptive passage about a storm.  As inspiration we looked at a photograph of a stormy sky.








As I sat out in the graveyard, reading my book, I saw the sky become gray.  I examined it and realized there was a storm coming in.  Large gray clouds roiling through the sky like giant-sized dust bunnies doubled in size, consuming the once baby blue sky.  Wind roared louder than a lion and lightning flashed more times than my brother has ripped my homework (which is a lot!).


I raced to my brick house in the middle of the wheat field when suddenly a black, shady figure came up and grabbed me.  Its fingers were slimy and green, which made the storm even more horrifying...


I screamed as I awoke from my dream of dark figures and overly terrifying storms.  I looked around my room to see only a slight rain falling from the sky.  I have quite and imagination...

                                                                                                                          Written by Megan


Oh no!  There is a storm coming!  "What do we do?"  It is huge and the winds are turning like a blender and the clouds are dark as a black cat.  It is coming straight towards us and it's pouring down rain.  There are bolts of lightning lighting up the dark blue sky.  How do we survive?  We turn on the news and the report comes in:  HURRICANE!  The thunder is like an avalanche of boulders.  Over night we will wait and see.


The sun comes up shining through the dark cloud and the storm is finally done.  We made it through and I can't wait until the next evening storm!
                                                                                                                        Written by Juliana


The storm was immense and dark black.  It shot large bolts of lightning out of the center of its heart.  The storm was raging with rain as it struck the grasslands.  Houses were boarded up; every door was shut!  This was the most deadly storm that had taken over the beautiful blue sky, but now it's like a lion roaring and gaining on you.  Every minute the storm illuminated different parts and was turning pitch black like a Raven's eye spying on you; watching you sleep.  The ugly storm wouldn't scatter away.


                                                                                                                        Written by Chase




Oh no!  A storm is coming!  A dark haze of thick fog filled the air as the healthy forest green grass started trembling. The gray misty clouds filed the black, smoky sky.  Slowly, tiny globes of ice showered down on one rooftop followed by others.  Suddenly, two bright bolts of lightning zipped through the air, blinding me.  Thunder crackled and thudded the earth as people locked their doors and hid.
The tall trees were getting knocked down by the furious winds.  The waves in the dark, grayish-blue ocean lifted up and crashed over the houses.  A few hours later the storm ended; leaving behind nothing but hope for one person... me.


                                                                                                                        Written by Cailyn




CRAAAACK!  The dark gray sky whips through the air as the wind wisps, 35 miles per hour, blowing the algae green grass away.  Lightning bolts, the color of pure gold, strike a newly planted Oak tree in my yard.  The eye of the storm stirs above my house as if it were my mom stirring cake batter.  As I stick my head out of my window I can feel a nice wind pushing my face; tiny droplets run down my face, trying to get away from the creamy, gray storm.  Dark clouds inch their way towards me, rolling closer.  As I prepare for the storm, the wind pours into my lava-orange room.  I slam shut the heavy peek hole, then fall into a deep sleep.


                                                                                                                         Written by Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!